Print Page | Close Window

Concerns about the Authentication server.

Printed From: BuddyBackup Forum
Category: BuddyBackup Forum
Forum Name: General
Forum Discription: Questions, suggestions: Basically anything apart from technical issues
URL: http://www.buddybackup.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=651
Printed Date: 19/April/2019 at 7:46am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 10.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Concerns about the Authentication server.
Posted By: Droopy
Subject: Concerns about the Authentication server.
Date Posted: 08/September/2014 at 1:54pm
Hi,

I love this program and the way it works.
But there's 1 thing that concerns me very much, and that's the authentication server.
I'll make backups to at least 3 friends to make sure I have redundancy, but there is still only 1 authentication server. So my concern is that this could be a single point of failure.

So the big question is; What happens if the main authentication server is down?
Can we still find/connect/backup/restore to friends?
Is the authentication server also required for making backups/restore from a local device?
Is there a way to run my own authentication server for my own private group?

I hope someone is able to answer these questions. 

Regards,

Droopy.

Replies:
Date Posted: 22/October/2014 at 6:55pm
Bummer Bump...

Posted By: mberickson54
Date Posted: 21/March/2015 at 6:27pm
I am not an expert, but I presume once the authentication server shuts down, no one can connect anymore. I suspect the backups will continue until BB has to restart and authenticate again.

If you know a buddy and you need to restore, I believe a buddy can restore your files onto a USB drive by going to "Tools->Import/Export", then select "I'm helping a Buddy backup/restore", press "Next", then select "My Buddy is restoring their data..." and then press "Next".

For this reason I have two BB accounts and run BB on two separate machines. At the very least I have the other machine to restore from.

I hope this helps.

Posted By: bobgrosh99
Date Posted: 10/May/2015 at 7:53pm
Yes, this is a worry for me too. My buddies are in Florida, Alabama, Texas and somewhere on the other side of the world. By concern is tornados and hurricanes, which could wipe out neighbors or even an entire town.
Seems like adding a way to use Google, Microsoft, Skype, twitter or Facebook for account authentication might be a good idea. Having a single vendor for authentication is what got a lot of people using cloud backup solutions into a heap of trouble when four of the ten most popular startup cloud backup solutions folded in the last 5 years.

Posted By: bobgrosh99
Date Posted: 28/May/2015 at 9:01pm
I just spent three weeks testing backup buddy.
EVERY FEATURE
I intentionally tried to break it. I couldn't
I backed up to USB HDD's as buddy. IT WORKED!
I swapped the USB's. IT WORKED!
I backed up to 6 remote buddy's with two copies and four copies. IT WORKED!
I backed up the music on a radio station, two copies to 6 buddies. IT WORKED!
I backed us the photos and articles from a local weekly news mag. IT WORKED!
I backed up person collection of 1,300 digitized 35mm slides. IT WORKED!

I tested recovery from every backup, including a complete recovery to a guest account onto a removable USB. IT WORKED!

I tested backing up live data from a web server, while the data was being edited and on-line. IT WORKED! ( More importantly, it did not interfere with the web server or the editing. )

I tested it on a live radio station that streams audio on the web and has an automation system that was transmitting the files on AM and FM. IT WORKED!

I tested it on a 12 year old very slow Dell single core computer I saved from a trip to the dumpster and a brand new quad core, on both of them, IT WORKED!

I tested it on XP, Vista, Win7 Ultra, windows 8.0, Windows 8.1 (tablet, laptop and dual monitor desktop). IT WORKED!
I tested it on Windows 10 technical preview all the way up to build 10122 on Intel and AMD (64bit) CPUs both as a hardware install and in a virtual machine. IT WORKED!

One of the most amazing observations was that, even with the BuddyBackup bandwidth limit options raised or turned off, and BuddyBackup uploading at 2.5mbps, on a single core CPU, the program did not cause any lag or audio/video glitches while the CPU usage was at 95% usage streaming windows media audio to 5 listeners AND encoding/up-streaming live flash video from a webcam, and, I did that test remotely using Teamviewer. I should mention that the PC under test, normally encodes and serves windows media audio streams, and at the same time stream video and audio to livestream.com. The computer is old, overloaded and normally stutters on the audio or video if you simply open a text file while streaming. Yet! Backup buddy was monitoring and backing up a shared local network folder and we watched in amazement as it backed up every change we made on the networked folder. It took only a few seconds to make two off-site backups each time we added a new file. We kept expecting to hear a stutter, pause or glitch in the audio stream. We never did. We repeated the test over and over and couldn't stop giggling we were so surprised.

I've tested the top 7 backup programs from a list of 25 most commonly recommended backup programs. NONE of them passed my tests. Currently the only backup solutions I recommend are the ones included with Microsoft and Apple OS's. Backupbuddy was not even on my top 25 list, but a friend mentioned it. The unusual feature of baking up to friends computers, instead of a cloud server peaked my interest. I had to test it.

It seems the only stumbling block is the possibility that url for the authentication might go away.

I'd like to promote Backup Buddy, but there needs to be a business plan and multiple servers for authentication.

How can we make that happen?

Date Posted: 28/May/2015 at 11:04pm
I am at a disadvantage because I use BuddyBackup with my home office server and network. Right now I am at a client's location and cannot respond. Also I am only a user of BuddyBackup and do not know anything about the software providers or system.

Your testing is awesome and highly appreciated. I believe the authentication server is actually tied in to some social networking system like Reddit, which is widely available throughout the Internet and not dependent on the software providers.

When I have a chance I will check on your postings and do more research. Unfortunately I am currently in a software development crunch and may not get to it until Sunday.

Date Posted: 31/May/2015 at 4:22pm
In the next few days i'll spent some time trying to find out how the authentication process works.

We need to know what happens when the AU server is unavailable, and hopefully i'll find a way to make sure BB keeps working without the "official" authentication server(s).

I'll keep you informed.

PS: I know the source (or program, or whatever you name it) of BB is SOLD !!! 
I have contacted the new company and they confirmed this!
So if you wonder why the original creator has left us without support, this is your answer.
The "new company" told me they have plans making a free and payed version, but to be honest, these plans are >1 year old and it seems like a dead project.

Posted By: Tomdebomb
Date Posted: 13/June/2015 at 9:19pm
its a shame about the development as I would probably pay for a white labelled edition of this program.

Posted By: Drew1
Date Posted: 18/November/2016 at 12:02am
Who was the buyer of the source code?  If the project is dead then maybe we can get them to release it as open source.

Date Posted: 24/November/2016 at 7:39pm
I sent this very question to the support contact at the BuddyBackup website. I actually got a response from James Watts at james.watts@databarracks.com the next day on November 7, 2016.

My original question:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Sirs,

Your form at "http://www.buddybackup.com/forum/" is not working. Is there plans to fix this?

I started using your software, it works great as advertised. I could become and advent fan. The major concern is that I know you have to have is a central server somewhere that you are maintaining to manage accounts and direct connections between machines. Since you do not charge anything for the service, there is nothing to pay for the operation of the server, therefore like your form it could become inoperable at any time and buddy backup will stop working. How can we be assured that will not happen? What is our recourse if it does?

I would be more than happy to pay a modest amount to maintain the server or maintain a server myself.

Thanks.

Response from James Watts:
Hi Michael, 

Thank you for your email and for alerting us to the issue with the forum.  That is now fixed and running again. Thank you also for your kind words about the service.

The central server is required to handle the connections between Buddies.  BuddyBackup is owned by Databarracks and since we acquired it, we took on the responsibility to make sure the service stays available.  We have thousands of users all over the world, so would certainly not want to remove the service or stop it’s availability.

We are exploring options for future development of the service and offering an option for users to host their own Supernode server is something we are considering.  I have made a note of your interest and we will keep you posted via email about any future developments. 

Many thanks,

Posted By: mcsilver
Date Posted: 20/February/2018 at 4:12pm
This thread seems to have died but the question is still relevant today. In fact, for the past several weeks, I have been unable to reach the central server.

Questions:

1. Is there a known problem with the central server? 

2. Is this software still viable?

3. Are there still any plans to allow end users to host their own servers?

The software is great in so many respects and I am really hopeful that will can provide a cost-effective (free or cheap) solution to a need that is not currently served well by any other software that I can find--now that CrashPlan Free is going away.

Posted By: FuddyDuddy
Date Posted: 22/February/2018 at 11:02am
I've also lost the ability to connect to my offsite machines.

Looks like BuddyBackup has died.

Date Posted: 24/February/2018 at 6:26pm
Damn! I wonder whether it was bought and shelved, like what oil companies purportedly with really promising green tech. (That may be overly conspiratorial.)

Has anyone contacted the current owner, DataBarrocks?

Posted By: tec805
Date Posted: 11/March/2018 at 7:29pm
The outage was for a couple weeks, which sucks for everyone. I sent a message to support about it and also said I'd be happy to pay for the program. I see a lot of potential in this program, how it could be improved or modified. I use this on my computer to backup to my server, which is backed up on Backblaze. I love having the green dot showing me it's working. I have other computers backing up to my server, which is where I'd love more information, a window that shows how much space they're using and the last time they connected. This program is too good to just let die, I don't know why it never became popular.

Date Posted: 17/March/2018 at 5:38pm
It's great to see that it's back. Thanks, tec805, for posting this news because I had given up on it. Did you ever hear back from Support?

Date Posted: 16/June/2018 at 4:44pm
The core server is down again

Date Posted: 16/June/2018 at 4:46pm
I appreciate the notification. Do you know how long it has been down?

Date Posted: 16/June/2018 at 4:48pm
Sorry, I never heard back from support. Pretty sure it's just a single old server sitting in a corner of an office being ignored. If it goes down then we need to send messages pointing it out until someone reboots it.

Date Posted: 21/June/2018 at 1:12pm
I think it went down around 14 June 2018.

Date Posted: 21/June/2018 at 4:06pm
I would so love to contribute a little time and money to help move that server into the cloud or something. It's good software and it seems to be unique.

Date Posted: 21/June/2018 at 5:44pm
As would I. The product fills a specific niche that many people never even think about. 

Date Posted: 22/June/2018 at 5:25am
Has anyone actually ever been able to reach the owner(s)?

Date Posted: 22/June/2018 at 8:04am
They've never answered me.

Date Posted: 04/July/2018 at 10:07pm
Are we down again? I just tried to create a new account but I keep getting: "Cannot connect to buddybackup.com to create your account. Please check your internet settings and try again." Granted, I'm on a Windows Server box but I didn't think it prevented outbound connections.

Date Posted: 04/July/2018 at 10:27pm
I sent an email to support. haven't heard back. 

Date Posted: 07/July/2018 at 6:23pm
Seems to be back up.

Posted By: Delbay
Date Posted: 31/July/2018 at 4:00am
No its still down

Date Posted: 31/July/2018 at 6:09am
Every so often I google for a while trying to find a similar program, something that doesn't rely on a single unattended server. I'd love to host the server myself. Still haven't found a replacement.

Date Posted: 31/July/2018 at 7:14am
@tec805 - I hear you! There's nothing like it out there that I know of. It would be great if each of us could run the server, for redundancy.

Date Posted: 31/July/2018 at 5:19pm
"Cannot connect to buddybackup.com"

Date Posted: 01/August/2018 at 7:52pm
I sent an email to info@buddybackup.com yesterday, today it's back online. I doubt anyone monitors these forums.

Date Posted: 01/August/2018 at 8:32pm
What we need is to get a hold of John Wood.

Date Posted: 01/August/2018 at 11:17pm
http://tecsupport.biz/bbfail.png" rel="nofollow - http://tecsupport.biz/bbfail.png

I was able to authenticate, install and configure the program. But on 3 machines I've tested the connection to the main server fails.

Date Posted: 05/August/2018 at 1:20am
It's down still. Sent another email to info@:

"It’s down again. Please release the server program to the general public, or sell it to us so we can run our own little backup system without so many issues. Thank you."

Date Posted: 05/August/2018 at 2:31am
Thanks, tec805.

Date Posted: 06/August/2018 at 7:27pm

Sent to info@:

"It came back online at some point, machines reconnected, backups happened. Now we’re back offline. Maybe it’s time to replace the server?"

Date Posted: 02/September/2018 at 9:04pm
It's been down a while.

Date Posted: 03/September/2018 at 1:24am
Darn! Just when I need to reconnect, too.

Date Posted: 03/September/2018 at 7:53am
I found a blogger that said he knows John Wood, the guy that wrote BB. I sent him an email, hoping to reach John, see if he has an old version or would be able to help with the server always being offline. It's such a shame to see this program being left to rot.

I've also started testing UrBackup client/server setup, but the lack of encryption might be a problem.

Date Posted: 03/September/2018 at 3:00pm
Let us know how that communication attempt goes, tec805.

Date Posted: 07/September/2018 at 11:00pm
Still down from what I can see. Is this everyone else's experience?

Date Posted: 07/September/2018 at 11:40pm
Yep, hasn't been up for many weeks.

I've installed UrBackup and deployed the client to a few machines for testing. I'll miss having encrypted files and real-time backups, but knowing the server will always be online will be worth it. Plus the statistics are really impressive.

Posted By: antonyrobinson
Date Posted: 08/September/2018 at 8:15am
It's still down for me, although I am still able to connect to 2 of my 3 buddies

Date Posted: 08/September/2018 at 6:41pm

Even though people are listed as "connected" I checked the folder where files are stored and the last modified backup was 8-25-18, more than two weeks ago. BuddyBackup isn't working correctly.

They never answer my email nor read these forums. I've tried finding the programmer but no luck.

Date Posted: 09/September/2018 at 4:50am
Good to know. I had assumed that "connected" meant "successfully backing up".

Date Posted: 09/September/2018 at 7:09am
I’ve checked my files and they are backing up too, just not to all buddies

Date Posted: 10/September/2018 at 10:35pm
I just checked my clients, many are showing the 8th (2 days ago) connected and backed up.

Date Posted: 12/September/2018 at 3:05pm
Mine is showing connected and when I do a connection test, the server is up again, hopefully it will stick around :-)

Date Posted: 13/January/2019 at 9:28am
I notice the server has gone down again.

Posted By: RCKC
Date Posted: 18/February/2019 at 5:09pm
I noticed that it was down, but only after moving the PC that was going to be my offsite backup PC to another network (actually offsite).  I'm guessing it would have continued working had I left it on the same network as the other BB PCs it was talking to.  Has the server actually been down over a month?  

It would be nice, if, rather than just letting this fine product fade away due to neglect, the server code would be made public, too, so that BB users could create their own server instances.

I sent a note to the contact email (info@buddybackup.com) on Saturday.  I think that the last time I noticed the server down it came back up no too long after sending an email.  Will wait and see I guess.

Date Posted: 18/February/2019 at 5:44pm
I gave up, the owners (who weren't the developers)have decided this fine product isn't worth supporting. Maybe they bought it with the purpose of letting it die, I don't know. Either way I had to move on and UrBackup was the choice. Good product, only missing the encryption.

Posted By: RCKC
Date Posted: 18/February/2019 at 6:00pm
Thanks.  Does urbackup support versioning? Part of my backup "strategy" depended on versioning to provide some protection from ransomware encrypting my files at some point.  Without versioning, one could just end up with backups of their recently-modified encrypted files.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 10.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2011 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk