BuddyBackup Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » BuddyBackup Forum » Share Backup Space
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Anyone on this board?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Pro Buddy
Pro Buddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leonardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone on this board?
    Posted: 04/March/2012 at 2:25pm
Anyone on this board interested in share some backup space?
trungnguyen View Drop Down
Buddy
Buddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trungnguyen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/August/2012 at 3:19am
andreas.mattisson View Drop Down
Pro Buddy
Pro Buddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andreas.mattisson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/October/2012 at 4:53pm
Yes, and for others nearby sweden that want to share backup-space between could also add me.
andreas_mattisson
mberickson54 View Drop Down
Pro Buddy
Pro Buddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mberickson54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/April/2015 at 6:53pm
I am also interesting sharing, have 300GB backed up already to another machine. I have 512GB of shared space. Feel free to connect, although if I get to many I will start cancelling. Account below.

mberickson54
bobgrosh99 View Drop Down
Buddy
Buddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobgrosh99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/May/2015 at 3:11pm
You can add me too
buddy name is bobgrosh
mberickson54 View Drop Down
Pro Buddy
Pro Buddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mberickson54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/November/2016 at 8:23pm

I would like to announce I am now actively using BuddyBackup as a component of my disaster recovery system for my consulting development systems. I have a dedicated 1TB drive to BuddyBackup and am willing to accept other “buddies” that provide reasonable storage capacity of at least 200GB. I will also keep track of the forms and try to help others where I can.

My account is "mberickson54".

I am an independent software computer consultant and software products developer, we maintain a data server (database, web, and file server), backup server and workstation environment to support our consulting and software development needs.

For disaster recovery we use a combination of a commercial consumer grade product, such as Carbonite and BuddyBackup for off-site backups.

Commercial consumer product, such as Carbonite, BackupBlaze, DropBox, iDrive, or Mozy are great inexpensive products for reliable retrievable backup. The drawback to these products is the on-going battle to not back everything up. Naturally all want to exclude executables, system files and very large files. But if the file in question is the backup of your primary source control database that is very problematic. I am aware you can coax these services to backup files you want most the time, but in the case of BackupBlaze I spent a significant amount of time trying to get it to back up a SQL Server database backup file, which it kept saying was locked but was certainly not locked. In the case of BackupBlaze I only discovered this when I happen to be checking files backed up on their site and discovered the files missing. Because of this I cannot really depend on these services to provide complete backups of everything. Very expensive reliable consumer products do exist, but we are not ready to assume that cost.

BuddyBackup is a straight forward product that backs up everything with very few issues or complications. In addition files are totally confidential, the UI provides a clear indication of what is/is not backed up, and with more buddies you have a full distributed backup system. The problem with it is you are depended on what we call in the consulting trade “Hacker Generosity”. Really at any moment the owners can shut down the authorization server and you have no real recourse to retrieve you backup data. I have received assurances from them that they are a successful software company, are committed to maintaining the service, and very likely the cost of running the server is very minimum to them, therefore I am fairly confident it will be around for some time, but be aware the last release of the software was in 2012 and this forum has very little activity. If they do go under, I do hope they make the source available on a public site such as GITHUB, so someone like myself can setup an authorization server. In my opinion it is a great secondary offsite storage if your lively hood depended on it and great offsite storage if your needs are very simple (like personal files), but make sure you have on-site backup of your data for disk crash recovery.

Our disaster recovery consist of the following plan.

• ·         Backup workstations to the data server using simple ROBOCOPY. User defined working files are backed up.
  • ·         Backup data server to the backup server using simple ROBOCOPY.
  • ·         Backup the backup server using commercial consumer product, such as Carbonite, BackupBlaze, DropBox, iDrive, or Mozy.
  • ·         Backup the backup server using BuddyBackup as well.

In our experience the only real disaster that you will ever really have to worry about is a disk drive or machine failure. The ROBOCOPY from one machine to the other more than adequately covers for this situation, in addition it is simple and easily managed. Off-site backup provides that necessary assurance if our entire installation is wiped out due to a major disaster.

I would be interested to know who else is using this product.

Thanks

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic