BuddyBackup Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » BuddyBackup Forum » General
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fresh install Windows

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Super Buddy
Super Buddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Niels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fresh install Windows
    Posted: 12/January/2010 at 3:23pm
I am planning to do a fresh install of Windows. How do I have to proceed regarding BB (BuddyBackup)?
I have all files BB backs-up and my local back-ups on a different partition than my Windows Installation.
Is there a need to let BB create new local back-ups, or can I point BB to the directory with my local back-ups? And if so, do I have to do this before selecting the files I want to backup, or after?
In addition, how about the data of my buddies? If I add my buddies again, will BB figure out which data I have of my buddies and which data the buddies have of my?
John View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Head of development

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/January/2010 at 11:05am
Hi Niels,

Excellent question.

It is a little tricky to do exactly what you've described, but if you're an experienced Windows user you should be able to get it working.

There are two sets of files you need to keep track of. The first is the actual backup files you described (on your second partition). However there are also internal settings and database files. These are located on your main partitition.

You need to manage BOTH of these in order to migrate.

The second set of data (the "settings" folder) is stored at:

C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Local Settings\Application Data\BuddyBackup    (XP)

C:\Users\[username]\AppData\BuddyBackup     (Vista/7)

You basically have to copy this folder to safe location and then after you've installed Windows, re-copy it back.

I'm pretty sure that for this to work, that path has to be the same on the new install (i.e. same Username and not moving from XP to Vista.7).

[You MIGHT get away with it being different though, mainly because you used set the backup location manually, but no guarantees].

Certainly, the partition where your backups are located MUST appear as the same path. For example, if backup location was set to be "D:\Backups" then your partition MUST appear as "D:" on Windows for this to work.

OK, with those provisos, the steps are as follows:
  1. Exit BuddyBackup
  2. Move the entire "settings" folder  "C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\BuddyBackup" (see above for the XP name) to a safe location, e.g. a CD or the second partition
  3. Do your windows install
  4. Setup your Windows user as normal. Login.
  5. Move the "settings" folder back to the new path
  6. Ensure your partition is set up correctly to the same drive letter as before
  7. Reinstall BB and run
  8. It should just use your existing data as normal.
  9. Test it's working by restoring a locally backed up file using BuddyBackup. If it works then the migration process has succeeded. If not, something has gone wrong.
  10. You'll still have all of your old backup settings. Specifically, it will carry on trying to backup the same sets of files (which might not exist on your new PC). This isn't a problem, it will just ignore missing folders.
I strongly recommend you then do the following:
  1.  Exit buddy backup
  2. Click Start, Run
  3. Enter "C:\Program Files\BuddyBackup\BuddyBackup.exe -clean"
This will do a self check (probably takes a few minutes). Importantly this will find any backups which are missing. Unfortunately, if it can't find them, it will assume they're destroyed and this will remove all knowledge of them. This is not reversable. So only do this if step 9 works above!

Alternative

So I appreciate that is a bit longwinded. We'll have a think about whether this is something we want to better support.

The alternative is to just do a clean install of BuddyBackup.

To do this:
  1. Install BB
  2. When setting it up choose "Use existing account"
  3. Enter your old details
I just wanted to explain what that would mean:
  • Your backups will still of course exist on your buddies
  • BuddyBackup won't know anything about those local backups on your partition, however so you could just delete them
  • You would have to re-select your files and re-back them up again
Unfortunately, BuddyBackup isn't yet smart enough to realise that the files you've re-added are the same as the ones still stored on your buddies. It will just treat them as a new set of backups and start backing them up again.

Since you're not actually restoring files (i.e. I'm assuming you still have all your orginal backups), this is kind of wasteful because you'll have two copies of your files. You can use the "Clean Backups" (Under "Tools" menu) to handle this.

We really want to fix this issue at some point.

OK so, I hoped that has helped.

Please reply if you have any problems, or if you get stuck.

Regards,

John
Niels View Drop Down
Super Buddy
Super Buddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Niels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/February/2010 at 7:03pm
Hi John,

Thanks for your excellent explanation!

I used the 'longwinded' approach. It worked great on both, a fresh install of Win 7 with the data of my previous Vista installation, and a fresh install of Win XP. On Win XP I even changed the name of the Windows user without any problem (the to be backed-up data was not in the user folder).

Looking forward to the new release of BuddyBackup!

Niels
John View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Head of development

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/February/2010 at 10:00am
Hey Niels,

Great news, I'm glad you got that sorted.

At some point we'll try and make this process a bit easier, and at the least write this up.

Thanks again,

John
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic